Do you have issues with your training?
Start with your training provider
Talk to your training provider if you’re concerned about the quality of your training or the way it’s being taught. Your training provider should be available to help you resolve any concerns.
Explore all your options
If you’re not satisfied with your training provider’s response, there are other ways to resolve the problem.
Let us know
If your training is subsidised by the South Australian Government or the Australian Government, we may be able to assist.
Contact us and we’ll work to address the problem with you.
Issues with your employment?
Resolve concerns with your employer
If you are a trainee or apprentice and are having an issue with your employer, we want to ensure you get the support you need to resolve it.
As a first step, if it’s possible, speak with your employer about your concern and the impact it’s having on you. In most cases, just having the conversation can make things better.
And if not, here’s what can happen next:
- Skills SA can chat with you about other ways to resolve the issue, let you know what your responsibilities are under your Training Contract and help you explore your options.
- If the issue is still unresolved, you can lodge your dispute with the South Australian Employment Tribunal. They will arrange a conciliation conference with you and your employer. Most employers and apprentices reach an agreement at the conference.
Get informed about fair work conditions
Do you have any questions or concerns about your employment?
The Fair Work Ombudsman can give you information and support on a broad range of employment matters such as:
- an issue or question about your wages or rate of pay
- work conditions you aren’t happy about.
The Fair Work Ombudsman is an independent body supporting the national workplace relations system.
How to access extra support for your issues
The South Australian Skills Commission can assist you with a complaint, mediation, advocacy and dispute resolution.
This can cover:
- fees and refunds
- changes to your course enrolment or employment
- course or provider transfer
- your Training Plan
- your progress during your course, or any issues that may impact it
- what you should expect under your Training Contract while at work
- what you should expect while undertaking study in a nationally recognised qualification
- what you can do if you have a concern or complaint with any aspect of your apprenticeship or traineeship
The South Australian Skills Commission can provide confidential advice and support, and speak for you or negotiate on your behalf to help resolve problems.
What if your training provider closes down?
If your training provider closes down unexpectedly, we understand it might cause you some concern.
Please be assured, the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) can:
- retrieve records of your completed training
- assist you to change to a new training provider
- give you information about your VET Student Loan and how to continue training under your Training Contract
You can also raise your concerns with ASQA.